Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is trepanation a science?

Is trepanation a science? 10 years 4 months ago #1810

• Cheeta
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 1
Trepanation is a form of surgery in which a hole is drilled or scraped into the skull, thus exposing the dura mater in order to treat health problems related to intracranial diseases.
In the modern era it is used only to treat epidural and subdural hematomas, and for surgical access for certain other neurosurgical procedures.
I read somewhere,"The use of trepanation in the modern era is considered a pseudoscience." :silly:
Can anyone explain me why is it pseudoscience if it is still used in medicine nowadays?
The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is trepanation a science? 10 years 4 months ago #1822

• BlackJack
  • Новый участник
Trepanation is considered to be the first surgical operation made by and to human beings. It was made in ancient times in order to treat headaches, epilepsy and seizures. Today trepanation is used to treat craniostenosis. It is a condition in which one or more of the fibrous sutures in an infant skull prematurely fuses by turning into bone (ossification), thereby changing the growth pattern of the skull.
Also nowadays some trepanation methods are used to decrease intracranial pressure. So this ancient operation is still used and has some meaning. However it is rarely performed by medical doctors. The International Trepanation Advocacy Group (ITAG)insists trepanning should be a far more common practice. This stance is largely based on the fact that human baby skulls have what is known as a soft spot. Supporters of trepanning believe the procedure returns the skull to this natural state. As a result, supporters believe physical energy is gained, mental illness can be cured, and many health issues involving the brain can be alleviated.
Concerning the CHeeta’s question if it is a science, I would like to say next.
Very little theory can be produced from trepanation. Pete Halvorson the senior director of ITAG claims this after he had a trepanation, “I find myself busy long after others are asleep. I'm ready to start again early in the A.M. The truth is I can't get enough of life” . This is a spectacular claim about the benefits of a trepanation, but there is very little theory or merit behind this explanation because his behavior can’t be directly linked to his trepanation. On his website, he lists no scientific studies that we’re performed on him to show signs of advanced brain functioning since his trepanation was performed. A claim like this is what makes trepanation a pseudoscience rather than an actual genuine science.
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else
Last Edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Hostadmin.

Is trepanation a science? 10 years 3 months ago #1831

• SkyBlue
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 1
Of course trepanation is a science and very difficult science, because our brain is most difficult organ in our body and to get access at it is very difficult.
First of all trepanation isn’t only trepanation of the skull, but it can be trepanation of temple or trepanation of tooth, when doctor reveals tooth.
I don’t think that is pseudoscience, because it is too important and too difficult.
The most popular of trepanation is trepanation of skull, or trepanation of tooth. It is so popular because it helps our body, for example when in brain is tumor or hematoma.
It is a very ancient operation. Even Hippocrates wrote about it, but he was the father of medicine.
Generally, trepanation is forming holes in the skull with the aim of access to the tissues underneath, and this is very dangerously, because if doctor does something wrong, it can’t hart to the brain.
But the reasons for which it can be considered a pseudoscience because in Tibet, this procedure is not always doing for therapeutic purposes.
They notice that people often receive the gift of clairvoyance after head injury, and they try to do it artificially. They try to open third eye by themselves. But I think it isn’t right, because person has to be prepared from inside, from soul, to see more important things by third eye, but not getting on the head.
they certainly chose special monks, but I still think that it does not guarantee that a person will open the third eye, and that he will be ready for knowledge, that third eye give, and that knowledge that he receive. Such knowledge are given by God or somebody, who is above us, and only in that case, if the person is ready.
And this was a very big risk, because many monks died after such operations.
And it has some causes. First is bad medicine. In that time it was not so developed, and secondly not everyone can withstand such operation and most simple is that infection can get in wound.
In general, I believe that such difficult interventions should be doing only in extreme cases, such as malignant or benign tumor.
:)
  • Page: