Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pride

Pride 10 years 1 month ago #2663

• Matan
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 1
What do you think about pride? Do people should be proud about thyself?
I will right my favorite parable about the pride. It shows my understanding about pride in people.
When it was a week before Easter, Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. The crowds of people who had heard about many miracles was welcoming Him and greeting him as a great prophet.

Donkey that was carrying Christ, seeing such a reaction of people thought to himself "Here is, how are they meeting me ! Here is. what I have achieved! That's because I am so great and wonderful! ...". But in fact these people were honouring God who was on donkey.

People how are very pride of thyself, do not understand or forget how much in their life they own to the God and to the help of others. Exalting in their thoughts and attributing all the credit for the success achieved in life exclusively to themselves loved ones, they are assimilated to a donkey in this parable.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pride 10 years 1 month ago #2682

• FreeKor
  • Новый участник
Matan, your view of the pride is very right. I also think that people often do not see what is going on around them. The situation is very clear, because all of us are blind and cannot see the life as it is. We see only what do we want to see. Am I not right? Sure, I am!
The reason is that God made us so blind. We had to work hard, we had to study, to learn, and we had to get the knowledge in order to get real eyes, in order to understand that the world is not as beautiful as we want it. It is the task for us, people, to understand it and to carry about our land, our home. God made us blind, but what a happiness to realize you are not blind anymore, you can see the world, you can understand the situations, that take place in the world`s life.
That is the nature of pride. I am sure there are many other opinions. So, I will listen to them, too.
When there is love, you can live even without happiness.

Pride 10 years 1 month ago #2689

• Rio
Matan, what an interesting parable about donkey! I have never heard it before at all! It reveals the nature of pride very well! I don’t think that people should be proud or bigheaded about themselves. What to be prod about in the first place? Look around and you see how many bad things are there about. And all caused by the humans. Those who pride themselves in something they have achieved or possess really don’t understand the role of God in it, as you mentioned, Matan. All that we have are given by God, God’s given and God’s taken! There is another good parable found in Quran, Surah Al-Kahf 18:32-42. That’s what it teaches:
(O Muhammad), propound a parable to them.36 There were two men of whom We bestowed upon one of the two vineyards, surrounding both of them with date-palms and putting a tillage in between. Both the vineyards yielded abundant produce without failure and We caused a stream to flow in their midst so the owner had fruit in abundance and he said to his neighbour, while conversing with him: "I have greater wealth than you and I am stronger than you in numbers." Then he entered his vine-yard37 and said, wronging himself: "Surely, I do not believe that all this will ever perish. Nor do I believe that the Hour of Resurrection will ever come to pass. And even if I am returned to my Lord, I shall find a better place than this."38 While conversing with him his neighbour exclaimed: "Do you deny Him Who created you out of dust, then out of a drop of sperm, and then fashioned you into a complete man?39 As for myself, Allah alone is my Lord, and I associate none with my Lord in His Divinity. When you entered your vineyard, why did you not say: 'Whatever Allah wills shall come to pass, for there is no power40 save with Allah!' If you find me less than yourself in wealth and children, it may well be that my Lord will give me something better than your vineyard, and send a calamity upon your vineyard from the heavens and it will be reduced to a barren waste, or the water of your vineyard will be drained deep into the ground so that you will not be able to seek it out." Eventually all his produce was destroyed and he began to wring his hands in sorrow at the loss of what he had spent on it, and on seeing it fallen down upon its trellises, saying: "Would I had not associated anyone with my Lord in His Divinity." It is interesting, isn’t it? The conclusion that can be drawn from it is to rely on God and trust in him, not in your own efforts! Be merciful and kind to others, everything you have now can be well gone tomorrow!

Pride 10 years 1 month ago #2695

• Matan
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 1
Rio, thanks for the new parable. It's very interesting and wisdom. And proves that I/m right in my opinion.
I really like this things. Great parables.
And I'm glad that you've agreed with me.
Because when I'm telling my ideas about a pride, people who I have conversation to, very often don't understand me. And I think maybe I'm wrong in my opinion.
I'm glad that I've found like-minded persons in here, that are agree with me.

Pride 10 years 4 weeks ago #2747

• Rio
You’re welcome Matan! It is great that you share your ideas and parables with other people. In ancient world parables and myths were used a lot to describe different things and aspects about life, and from them people could get great lessons. Yeah sometimes they are hard to understand and some explanation is needed, because all people have different minds, some people catch everything immediately, while others struggle to get the simplest things! If you read New Testament then you can find a lot of parables Jesus used to teach his disciples and in his conversation with the others. And sometimes he had to explain what they mean. Another thing is that some people are full of pride and stubbornness and when they hear something like a parable for one thing or some kind of a story or even an opinion that reveal their sins and wrongdoings they just put a blind eye to it and reject the whole thing because in their own eyes they are never wrong. It is extremely hard to get through to such people!

Pride 10 years 3 weeks ago #2811

• tasty
  • Новый участник
As for me I distinguish between pride as arrogance and pride as satisfaction. For example, when people have a lot of money, some of them may become arrogantб and even have contempt for others because they feel that they are superior in material well-being than the rest. This pride deserves to be disapproved. It arises from a bad feeling, the feeling of superiority, domination over the others. And there is another type of pride, arising from a feeling of satisfaction and happiness: you have achieved great results in sports or your son has won in a school contest. Of course, you feel proud in such cases, but I would not say that it is bad to feel that kind of pride.
  • Page: