Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are there any special temples for you?

Are there any special temples for you? 10 years 5 months ago #1397

• Alex_Alex
  • Захожу иногда
  • Thank you received: 4
As for the native Saint-Petersburg citizen, i prefer old churches and cathedrals in my own city. Sometimes it is Gothic style, and also new churches. I`m happy to see, when anywhere in the city workers starting to build a new church.
Все что ни делается, делается к лучшему!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are there any special temples for you? 10 years 5 months ago #1487

• John
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 1
I was really impressed when I visited Pagan (or Bagan) - the ancient capital of the kingdom of the same name in present-day Myanmar. Currently, on the place of ancient town there is an archaeological zone with thousands of pagodas, temples, stupas and monasteries. During the 300 years of ruling, 55 kings built 4000 Buddhist temples there, which sharp roof randomly reaching the sky.

The brief history of this place is the next. In 1044 the king Anoratha came to the power. Later, he met with Indian Buddhist monk from and inspired by this changed the state religion of Hinduism to Buddhism. Then, the king received the tooth of the Buddha from Sri Lanka – a great relic for Buddhists . However, the people were unhappy that the king left the relic to himself because they also wanted to pray to Buddha's tooth. After this, the king made 3 copies of the tooth and built 4 large stupas, where places the teeth separately. People began to build personal temples In the vicinity of these stupas. For 200 years they have been built around 4000 temples. In 1975, Burma's powerful earthquake destroyed half of them. However, the current government is actively restores all the temples, and today they have completed 3,500.

According to the purpose, the temples divided into: the usual temples having symmetrical shape with four altars and statues of the Buddha in each of the horizon, the stupas with the holy relics, and the caves (gubyauchzhi) - temples with a maze of corridors and painted frescoes.
You can spend weeks walking from temple to temple, meditating in front of the altars, climbing on the top of the steep tiers of stairs and through the inner dark stairs, enjoying the sunset with a special viewing platforms on the tops of temples. It is really amazing abandoned the city, whose residents were spending all their efforts on building temples and did not think about their own homes. The prosperity of the city came on 11th century. For today, there are 50 thousand inhabitants living in the city of Bagan, but they are surrounded by 5,000 pagodas.

Bagan.jpg
Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by John. Reason: photo

Are there any special temples for you? 10 years 3 months ago #1846

• CeliNe19
  • Осваиваюсь на форуме
  • Thank you received: 2
I also travel a lot and sometimes visit some churches. I have been to St. Petersburg and I liked that big Kazansky Cathedral, it is so great. And when visiting Cyprus, I also liked their Orthodox churches, they are small and community-friendly, I really didn't expect to see so many people on a Sunday morning in the church. It was full! You could hardly find any seats.
It is also so interesting, you see, the Orthodox church, for example in Russia, that's what I saw, doesn't have seats inside, however the Orthodox church in Cyprus is like a hybrid of Catholic and Orthodox church, I mean they do have seats inside.
I couldn't understand much from the service, because it was held in Greek, but the atmosphere there is really "spiritual". Great experience, I like that.

Are there any special temples for you? 10 years 3 months ago #1851

• taro
  • Новый участник
It's such an interesting subject.
I've read all answers and it's so great that we are absolutely different and we like different palaces and temples.
I've been to Israel and Jerusalem and I've seen Church of the Holy Sepulchre, And this is really incredible place. It's so spiritual. I just could felt spiritual in there like something physical. And I don't think that this partivular place is special (no one knows what and were all these facts happen.) I think all these people how have been coming to this church to pray for all these years made this place special.
And this is great. It means that we all just ordinary people can make any place special.
I'm absolutely sure that every person has to find a special spiritual places for his self. Majority people don't think about it, bit I'm sure that our soul (along with a body body) sometimes needs rest. And some tramples are perfect match for it. You can sit there for half of hour and fill yourself renewed and ready for future feas. Person just have to find a place that ideally suits him. It can be a small church near his or her house or some big and beautiful cathedral. It all depends on this particular person. This is as important as find a good doctor. I'm serious. I really mean it. Our soul needs good treatment as well.

Are there any special temples for you? 9 years 10 months ago #2943

• Klisanta
  • Новый участник
Hello there! :) I want to tell you about one special place that bring me calmness and rest to my spirit. It is a church that locates near my house, unfortunately there is only one church in our city. I think that every person should have such place where he or she can have rest not only physically but also mentally! ;) my granny told that her special temlpe is Lavra in Sergiev Posad it is a church in one of the oldest city of Russia. When she was there while her vacation she was amazed with highness and beauty of Lavra. It is a unique monastery complex, which is included in UNESCO world heritage list. Lavra caves is the system of underground passages, divided into two parts — Far and Near Caves. If you only walk there you will feel the ancient spirit of the church! :) I wish all people had such place for soul, where you can be free and breath with all your chest! :cheer:
  • Page: