Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jain's prayers

Jain's prayers 10 years 7 months ago #1238

• aubrielillian
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 1
Here I found a daily Jain prayer, which is learnt by all Jain children. The original text has to be spoken in the ancient dialect of Ardha Magadhi (which is as old as Aramaic - the language of Jesus Christ). It seems to me it is very unusual-they don’t worship to any deity or individual; they don’t ask anything material for themselves in return.
The text was already translated into English, and here it is:

I bow down to those who have reached omniscience in the flesh and teach the road to everlasting life in the liberated state.
I bow down to those who have attained perfect knowledge and liberated their souls of all karma.
I bow down to those who have experienced self-realisation of their souls through self-control and self-sacrifice.
I bow down to those who understand the true nature of soul and teach the importance of the spiritual over the material.
I bow down to those who strictly follow the five great vows of conduct and inspire us to live a virtuous life.
To these five types of great souls I offer my praise.
Such praise will help diminish my sins.
Giving this praise is most auspicious.
So auspicious as to bring happiness and bliss.

Very philosophic, isn’t it? It is often the first prayer a Jain will say when waking up in the morning and the last prayer said before going to sleep at night.

Other ones are prayers of forgiveness. Like this:

I grant forgiveness to all living beings
May all the living beings please forgive me.
I have friendship with all the living beings.
I have no hostility towards anyone.

If once upon a time you will receive an email or post in forum from Jain, it may be finished by the same prayer, expressed in modern way:

I ask for forgiveness not only if I might have hurt your feelings knowingly or unknowingly through my posting in the group but also during this life or during previous lives. (Name, Surname).

So sincere and nice tradition, as for me!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page: