Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Discrimination. Why does it exist?

Discrimination. Why does it exist? 10 years 10 months ago #658

• nicker
  • Осваиваюсь на форуме
  • Nick
Hello! I would like to involve myself and to involve other people in the discussion of this important topic which has a great negative impact on our society and leads to many conflicts both national and international ones. How can we combat discrimination between people of different races, different religious, different age, sex, etc? This question appears often on the front page of many newspapers, non-fiction magazines, books and in many other sources, but there is no a correct solution found till now.
Ok, everybody of us is uncial and special in a way, so there is a reason for everybody to be discriminated or to suppose to be discriminated. But here is a great difference in being special in a way and being hated and this is the point that I want to touch in our discussion: why some group of people are hated by national or international society? What is the reason? Aren’t all of us human beings?
I hope that this topic will awake your emotion and your mind and together we will find out the reasons and when you know reasons, you can find some solutions!
I think that the main reasons are customs and historical background of the country.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Discrimination. Why does it exist? 10 years 10 months ago #670

• St. Patrick
  • Осваиваюсь на форуме
Good question! Well, there are two main theories that explain why discrimination exists. The very first one is economic. In many respects it is close to Marxist notion of social groups other than social classes. The main idea here is for the ruling class it is useful to divide people in order to exploit them. This is why from this point of view, race, gender, ethnicity, religious differences etc are not only socially constructed but also absolutely artificial. Most of them have no background in nature. For example, race has absolutely no biological justification. Some people would argue that people have different skin color etc. But in reality, in most countries notion of race has little connection with such differences. For example, even in 19th century in the Unites States were “one drop rule” according to that a person would considered as ‘black’ if he or she had only 1/16 of “black blood” even he would look absolutely as Caucasian. Even more, the notion of race was (and still is) in many countries. For example, formal definition of people of color was different in the United States, South Africa and South America.
There is another point of view on racism and discrimination—so called psychological notion of otherness. I could explain if somebody is interested.

Discrimination. Why does it exist? 10 years 9 months ago #749

• Doctor who
  • Осваиваюсь на форуме
  • Thank you received: 2
I think that one of the most important reason for discrimination is fear of strangers.
Strange means worse and dangerous. Worse and dangerous mean must be avoided.
Because of it people don't like something new. And with difficulties agree to change things and accept points of view of other people.

Discrimination. Why does it exist? 10 years 6 months ago #1431

• vapor
  • Новый участник
What does discrimination actually mean? Well that’s what the Wikipedia says: Discrimination is the prejudicial and/or distinguishing treatment of an individual based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated.” From this definition I can see that the whole issue comes from belonging to a certain group, category, some pigeonhole, which people have already formed opinion about. Yes we are all different and sometimes these differences are a problem in communication. I think discrimination is closely related to a matter of acceptance. It has also been discussed on the forum as far as I can remember. If we are accepted by the other people, it means they like us and we are not discriminated against. Another thing is when we are a bit unlucky and deal with people who dislike us for some reasons and reject our company, have negative emotions toward us and thus discrimination begins. And it can be not only because we have different skin or come from another country. Just sometimes people think about themselves or a group they belong to as being superior or better compared to those who belong to different group or just have different views, looks etc. How can we combat discrimination? That is a very difficult question. I believe that it was asked before by many influential people. And if there was a single and simple answer given, perhaps there would be no such an issue as discrimination. I think the first step is to start with ourselves. Just to start pondering about our everyday life behaviour. Do we compare ourselves to other people? Do we think we are better than anyone else? How would we feel if somebody else thought they were better than ourselves and treated us accordingly? Sometimes we don’t even think that we ourselves can discriminate other people even in our thoughts or mind.

Discrimination. Why does it exist? 10 years 5 months ago #1637

• CeliNe19
  • Осваиваюсь на форуме
  • Thank you received: 2
To tell the truth, I don't like this word at all. Maybe I don't like some people, maybe I have a phobia. Why should I like other nationalities, races? :)
I don't want to point out, but there are people who come in our countries and set their rules. Ultimately, the indigenous people have to stick to their rules. So, why after all should I like them?
Yes, in every nation there are good and bad people, but those who are bad mar the impression of the entire nation.
Completely different topic is about sexual orientation tolerance which I also disagree with, but I will create a new topic and definitely share my opinion there.
And again, I think this anti-discrimination politics is created with some purpose. Pay attention that white people become fewer and fewer. Why there is not a policy which encourages childbirth? But there is one that tolerates gays and lesbians...I'm not against them, they are the same people as us, but I am against this fashion, which is so popular nowadays.
Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by CeliNe19.

Discrimination. Why does it exist? 10 years 5 months ago #1687

• Big bang
  • Новый участник
I was reading interesting research seems to me that it was research made by the University of Melbourne (Australia). It was conducted among young people aged 12 to 18 years to figure out "How does the racism occur"?
As can be seen from the results of it the racist ideas make the greatest impact on people with weak mentality, low self-esteem and depressive character.
So this is an answer.
Such people are afraid of all strange people and plus they want to feel thyself better than other people. Because of it they are trying to find somebody who is weaker than they.
And additional terrible lack of eduction leads to discrimination.
People just don’t know other people, other traditions and religions.
  • Page: