Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starting on my new path

Starting on my new path 11 years 4 months ago #339

• Eidos
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 2
A few months ago a friend took me to a conference with a Buddhist teacher. I was skeptical, because I thought I had everything figured out in regards of attitude toward what happens to me. I was wrong.

During that conference, I felt a strange kind of calm fall over me. This experience left me with a new outlook on dealing with unpleasant things, my anger and my desire for things that might be bad for me.

My favorite anecdote told by the teacher was about a student asking him, "Master, how do I stop feeling the burden of menial tasks? How do I make it easier to get up every day, wash myself, make my breakfast, go to work, do my job and prepare for another day of the same?"

The teacher replied, "It's simple. You get up, wash yourself, make your breakfast, go to work, do your job and prepare for another day."

And it's astonishing that this seemingly naive advice actually IS the perfect advice. Things DO get easier when you just change your approach to them.

So, that day in September, I decided to start studying Buddhism.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Starting on my new path 11 years 4 months ago #341

• Samael
  • Новый участник
It's wonderful to find new people who find comfort in this philosophy. Even if you don't believe in Karmic cycle, Samsara and other metaphysical aspects of Buddhism, I'm sure you will find it easier to deal with everyday life when you realize it's selfishness that causes most of your grief.

Mind you, it won't be easy to follow this path. Until it starts to be.

Starting on my new path 11 years 4 months ago #346

• Eidos
  • Новый участник
Samael, the amazing thing about Buddhist teachings is how well it understands human psychology and so far everything I've learned of it (which, to be fair, is not much compared to what's still ahead of me) is so universal that you don't even have to believe in the supernatural to take those teachings to heart.

Thank you for your support. I realize it won't be easy. Meditation, for one, is very difficult for me because my mind is always racing, constantly occupied with worries. I want to get better at that.

Starting on my new path 11 years 3 months ago #396

• Ariel_Angel
  • Новый участник
You had such a lucky experience! In my area, there aren't many who study or practice Buddhism let alone teach it! I'm very happy that you managed to find a teacher to help you get started!

Starting on my new path 11 years 1 month ago #463

• Andrea
  • Новый участник
I think that Angel_Ariel is right. I hope you are enjoying your new philosophical journey! I know that Buddhism is a very peaceful path, and you are definitely going to enjoy it!

Starting on my new path 11 years 1 month ago #487

• CuriousCat
  • Новый участник
I hope you are still enjoying your journey on the Buddhist path Eidos! In my part of the UK it is not a common religion, so any practice would have to be done alone. I am not an 'official' practitioner of any one faith, but I do love learning about religions and Buddhism is probably the one that appeals to me most. I don't know whether it's perhaps because it is not monotheistic (I struggle with the concept of worshipping a deity as opposed to respecting a universal power), or just because the Eightfold Path makes a lot of sense to me. Perhaps one day I will take steps to actively practise it.
  • Page: