Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Joinning a "cult". Religious choice or...?

Joinning a "cult". Religious choice or...? 10 years 2 months ago #2346

• limon
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 6
I would like to talk about religious cults today. Do you think it is a religious choice, or a psychological abberation?

First what is a cult?
To my mind the best definition explaining what a cult belongs to the sociologists Melton and Moore. They gave an explanation upon cults that support a belief system that strongly diverged from the well-known faiths which lots of people have grown up with.

To sociologists mind, a cult is the very first point in every religion, where there is a stage where is simply a charismatic leader and an ebullient group of followers, who have not yet envolved anything more than a ordinary organizational "framework". Most cults are ending up before they get beyond this stage; others become more officialdomed, as happened to Christianity, thinks the sociologists. Anyway, when we meet the term "cult" that is widely used today, we understand that it is a controversial "high necessity" religion, or some other group which has come to be connevted with the term in the understanding of the social media.
Leo Pfeffer suggests: "if you believe in it, it is a religion or perhaps the religion; and if you do not care one way or another about it, it is a sect; but if you fear and hate it, it is a cult."
Meanwhile, social scientists suggests phrases such as "alternative religions," "marginal churches," "new religious movements," and so on.

What is your opinion towards this?...
thanks God I am a Limon...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joinning a "cult". Religious choice or...? 10 years 2 months ago #2405

• Ruby
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 1
I think most of cults today are there for their own good. They drag people into joining it to use them, to make people do what a leader of the cult wants them to do or to possess their house, to take their money, well just to take advantage of others really. There are some people who experience difficult period in their life and there is no on e to help and support them, such people might become victims of a cult, especially if they already know somebody who belongs to a cult. I don’t know what is the difference between a cult or a sect, both can be dangerous. And both preach their own views often different from God actually said in his word. I would recommend avoid at any cost such places. People who become members of a cult lose their own self, lose their life and their families. It is very difficult for friends and relatives to help such people because their mind changes completely. If there was any truth what cult leaders teach their members then there would not be so many broken lives and people who has become mentally ill thanks to affect of a cult doctrines and ideas. It is better to read and know God’s Word to recognize truth from lie, and then you will not be a victim of somebody else’s destroying ideas and views.
Love and be loved!

Joinning a "cult". Religious choice or...? 10 years 2 weeks ago #2750

• FreeKor
  • Новый участник
The problem is that today many words have lost their first meanings. Due to the yellow press and the same publications such words like “cult” and “sect” have lost their first scientific meaning. Today we have to deal with these words and we do not always understand what they mean. It has its consequences: the scientists begin to invent new words, but they do not help to understand. They make a bigger chaos in the world of such concepts.
Cult used to be a religious group that is not familiar to the known ones. And that is all. But today when we hear this word, we imagine something very terrible, some sect, where people have cults and they make sacrifices. It is funny, that we are so intelligent in today`s literature. The answer is very simple. We just do not devote too much time to the literature itself, as our ancestors did. Today that is enough for us to open internet, to surf there and to get some ideas about the interesting theme by only the headers! We became so lazy, that we even do not want to open a book and to read it. Maybe if it happens we should be more intelligent and won`t ask the questions that do not have answers. But that is only my subjective opinion.
I am sure that there is nothing terrible in cult; it is just something what we are not familiar with. So, how can we judge the concept of cult, if we have the different thoughts about it and our minds are so foggy that we already cannot discuss it? Today we have several meanings of the word “cult”. But it is only today. And what will be tomorrow?
When there is love, you can live even without happiness.
  • Page: