Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Are people less religious nowadays?

Are people less religious nowadays? 10 years 8 months ago #751

• Purple_Rain
  • Новый участник
  • Thank you received: 2
I answer myself “Definitely yes”. But I am wondering why does it happen?

Let’s analyze worldwide. I consider as religious the population of the next parts of the world: Latin America, Muslim countries, India, and some of European countries (Spain, Poland). About USA and rest of Europe-yes, there are many religious people, but most of Europeans and Americans are relatively non-religious nowadays (especially young people).

And I have noticed that religious belief is strong in the countries with economic problems and low standard of living. However, if population gets rich, the religious matters become less important, it seems. Same time – Europe was more religious 50 years ago than now, and exactly it was more religious 100 years ago.

What is the reason – development of science, technical progress, egoism grown with increased own comfort, pragmatism?

Or maybe - it can be like that. European and American people have no belief in heaven after death and work to create heaven in their present life, so, there is no reason to be religious. That is why Catholic Church, for example, easily can get the new believers in Africa and Asia – countries with low standard of living and where people have habit to survive in present life hoping to get the better one in heaven.

How do you think, why less people believe nowadays (especially in the wealthy countries)?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maleevich

Are people less religious nowadays? 10 years 8 months ago #753

• Doctor who
  • Осваиваюсь на форуме
I cannot agree that people become less religious nowadays.
Especially in ex USSR countries religion becomes more more popular.
People go church, observe customs, fast.
On the other hand, Islam is not losing ground in a lot of countries. Even some countries that were secular now are moving to orthodox Islam.

Are people less religious nowadays? 10 years 8 months ago #825

• Jones
  • Новый участник
Of course, they are less religious. There are some reasons IMHO :blush:
1. It is difficult to believe in any God when you hear about terrible acts of terror, or when one man killed another for 200 bucks, or woman who left her baby in a dump heap. Maybe 50 years ago people were the same (I mean the same bad), but nowadays news becomes known around the world at once. So living even in a small village you can easily be informed about all terrible things happened in the world. How can one believe hearing and knowing all these?!
2.I have a lot of young people around me. They don’t trust religions because they heard a lot about corruption in churches, how Islam leaders made people do acts of terror, that priest debauched the youth… All religions compromised themselves.
3. People living in wealthy countries have forgotten how to starve, how to live outside, how to work hard in the field or catch fish with your own hands, how to survive in severe climate and economic conditions. They sit in their warm armchairs in the office, work hard, but it is not manual labor. They go to supermarkets and buy what they want, but they don’t need to grow food in the fields. They don’t need even cook, there are millions of restaurants, coffee shops, fast food chains, home-made cafes for any taste and pocket.
Therefore people become lazy, stop believing in God and trust only themselves. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: maleevich

Are people less religious nowadays? 10 years 5 months ago #1494

• vapor
  • Новый участник
First of all let’s draw a line between being religious and being a believer. Yes it is not the same! Although people often don’t even realize that and use the two terms as synonyms or substitute one word by another. Now I will try to explain how they are different. Well a famous saying comes to my mind. And it is this one: “Not all are saints that go to the church”. When we see people going to the church, conducting all the religious rituals and ceremonies, and praying loudly and long, and talking about God we might think that they believe in God and always do what Gods word tells. But it is not necessary true. As Jones mentioned people hear about “corruption in churches, how Islam leaders made people do acts of terror, that priest debauched the youth”. The truth is that it is your outward acts ( like going to the church, participating in religious ceremonies, etc.) and behavior don’t mean at all that your heart has changed and your life was transformed or you devoted your life to serving God and doing what is good, just and fair. It is only when there is an inner change in your heart and sincerity, when you consciously realize what God wants from us, what is in his word, believe and act on it, what God has set as being truth and what is a lie, then you can say that you are his servant and dedicate your life to God. People, don’t be fooled by those who claim to believe in God and then go and commit corruptions in churches and elsewhere, or when Islam leaders make people do acts of terror, or priests take advantage of the youth. And don’t let all these things draw you far away from God! Such people truly are hypocrites! But we are not blind, we see that they don’t do what they preach!

Are people less religious nowadays? 10 years 3 months ago #1835

• andrew
  • Новый участник
  • Happy!
I don’t think people are less religious nowadays. Each of us in the sole believes in God, asking him every time the help.
The problem is in the place of church in our daily time. In what measure the church can represent the people who believe in God.
In addition we see that there is a tendency of greater separation of church from the state and education of children in school. Children, young people are more engaged in electronic games and internet, therefore they have little time to visit church or to read religious books.
Not very good image to religion brings different disputes and conflicts between religious confessions in the world. Sometimes the church is not tolerant to some aspects of our life, trying to interfere in the personal life of people.
The priests often are found breaking laws or acting against moralities they speak about. We remember the scandals in the Rome Catholic Church. This makes people to be aside the church, but not aside the religious thinking. Everyone believes in God.
Life is good!

Are people less religious nowadays? 10 years 3 months ago #1853

• maleevich
  • Новый участник
  • Smth really amazing happens btw religion and art..
  • Thank you received: 3
Oh, there is so much truth in this words...
People are loosing kids, are loosing parents...their beliefs in God are linked with the well-known phrase:"What goes around- comes around" and people are doing good things to othera and are receiving...nothing...

They see a huge difference between “I believe in a God who cares for me” and “I trust God at this particular moment.” The first is a bit safer, an article of faith. The latter is unnerving, risky–because they have let it go.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

– H.P. Lovecraft

Whatever happens, I would say : Do NOT trust people, trust God!
Thanks.
-Hudibras...
As if religion were intended / For nothing else but to be mended... (Samuel Butler, poet)